the bike

the bike

Monday 20 April 2015

Day two, New Orleans. Having a great time, but alas my feet are not

Today was a bit of a walking day.  Well not all walking but quite a bit.  My feet and knees are telling me about it right now.  So they are up while I sit here a blab away

Started our day a little latter today.  Yeah kinda slept in a little longer.  It was my own fault.  I started on a book last night and just did not want to put it down..  Finally did though and went to bed.  Dumb, dumb of me.  I know I want to get up in the morning and get on the touring but I just kept reading.

So up and out and around at about 9:30 or 10 o'clock.  Not too late but still. Could have been down stairs and had a continental breakfast.  Instead went with out anything and ate a little later.  Whatever turns our crank I guess.  Walked over to Walgreens and I picked up a couple of jerky sticks and ticket for the trolley. Read the packaging after I was out of the store and it said beef and alligator meat.  Oh oh I am eating alligator again.  Hey it was something to snack on while we waited for the trolley.

The trolley came about 15 minutes later.  We got down about two roads and then came to a dead stop.  The trolley waited and waited for about half to three quarters of and hour while they cleared a police incident on the road in front of us.  Cars could get onto another street but the trolley could only wait until the track was clear.  Not sure what was happening but the place was blocked off with lots of police everywhere.

Finally heading down St Charles street.  We get off a little while later and head over to the ww2 museum.  We're first going to go to the civil war museum but it was closed on Monday.  Well maybe another day.  So in we go to the second museum.  Not much on my cup of tea butRob wanted to see it so we went in.  Told about the invasions by hitler and Stalin and the Japanese.  And how they had planed on taking over the world.  Then we walked on and learned about the war at sea and on land.  How the frontal attacks came about to finally win the war.  The women who worked at home to fill in for the men who were off at war.  Last building we came to was the flight museum.  We could go up four levels on cat walks and see the planes that were hanging from the ceiling from all angles.   Also watched two movies while we were there.  One a four d movie.  Took five years in the making and was narrated by Tom hanks.  The floors shook and some of the noise and lights were great effect.  The second movie we saw took us into a sub and we had to torpedo the heck out of enemy ships.

After the museum we went back to the trolley station and waited and waited and waited.  Were planning on going to the Lafayette cemetery but the trolley had not come in the hour we sat there.  So made a change of plans and walked down to the convention centre and over to mardi grah world.  Got ther half hour before they close.  So took a quick look through.  Wow the colours of some of those floats and the lifelike of some of the people they produce.  And all made out of plater and wire. And styraphom.  Interesting to me anyways.

So today Rob got to see something he wanted to see and I got to see something I wanted to look at.  Fair trade..  

After leaving mardi grah world we walked along the front of the convention centre to the river walk outlet.  There we thought we might be able to walk along the Mississippi.  Nope that didn't work so had to stroll through the mall to get back close to canal street.  Rob stopped at one of the stores and bought his souvenirs.  Me I just like looking at all the things for sale.  Once in while might buy something but not very often.  I would have to figure out what would be the purpose of it afterwards.  I just like taking pictures and adding them to scrapbook.  But yeas I do buy souvenirs just not very often..

So heade up canal street and back to our hotel.  It is around 7 and now my feet are up and hoping my knees do not give me too much trouble tomorrow.  Plantation and swamp tour tomorrow.  This is gonna be fun.  We get to ride on an airboat see alligators hopefully not too close.

So no reading tonight.  Have to be up in morning to catch our ride on the tour bus.  Well maybe just a little reading

No comments:

Post a Comment