the bike

the bike

Sunday 19 April 2015

Well finished red hatting and am now on a Minnie vacation in New Orleans.

Came Down to Louisiana to enjoy a few days with my red hat sisters .  Red hat adventure is now finished and another adventure begins thus the different blog..  I had a couple of weeks off work so decided to see if my son would like to come along and we would stay for some extra time and enjoy the city of New Orleans.

We brought back our car we rented today to drive out to Houma.  Took a taxi back over to the hotel we are staying at in New Orleans.  Still in same condition we left it in two days ago.  Messy as we said do not bother to make up the room.  So we are now back in the room and stuff sitting all over the place .  The room that has a mirror for a window.  It is a little dark in here.  I don't think if it storms or anything we will not know what it is like outside until we head out.

So now that we have gotten back to our room.  We took our first walk.  I put on my shorts first.  The sun is just a beating out there.  Very warm but not as humid as the day we had the thunderstorm here. 

So we picked a direction and headed for it.  Not sure whether we are going in the right direction or not.  Want to get down to the river walk..  See the muddy Mississippi.  Well they call it the mighty Mississippi though.  One of the longer rivers in the USA.  So we walked a little of it.  Ended up going into the aquarium for a cooler walk.  29 dollars each to walk through there.  And you know.  There was no Dolphins.  Aw!!!  Oh well.  Saw allot of other things.  Otters, eels,  lots of different fish, sharks and turtle.  Walked through the bird sanctuary and had parakeets landing on you to get a ride out of the sanctuary.  They were digging in my purse to see if I had anything.  The littlest pick pockets I have seen.  Sorry guys no food for you and had to shoo them away before we walked back through the outer door.

After the aquarium we headed over to the outlet mall along the water.  I know shopping.  Not a touristy thing but it was out of the heat..  I found two places in there that had blingy stuff.  I was good I didn't buy anything bi put I was tempted by a baseball hat with bling on the visor part and and set of big blingy lips on it.  Red to boot.  No didn't buy it.  I have another funvation coming up and can not spend all my money on New Orleans.  I am behaving myself.

After the mall we sat down for something to eat.  When our plates were set down I noticed my sandwich had jalapeños on it and started picking them out.  Rob then said you know I think you have my sandwich and he had mine.  So traded plates.  Aw much better for me.  And Rob is stuffing the jalapeños back into his..  Too hot for my pallet.  After finished our meal we waited and waited am
No waited to get our bill.  I finally went up to the bar and said I would like my bill please.  It still took a while to get it.

Our next stop was a little more of the river walk.  Found the place were we will get on the river boat in three days.  We have reservations for a dinner cruise and listening to jaz music.  Aw one relaxing night.

From there we cut across the park and headed for the cathedral.  Went inside.  I love looking at stained glass windows and the architecture of older building.  Then realized it is Sunday and a service was going on.  We'll have to come back another day and take a look.  What I saw was amazing though.

After leaving the church we walked around behind and found ourselves in the French quarter.  Small one way streets.  Little cubbies of stores.  Voodoo places and three level building with rot iron railings around the balconies.  I like looking at the difference in building from one area to another.  This is architecture I have not seen before except on TV.  And in such closed quarters.  We walked up to bourbon street and then headed along bourbon street back to canal street.  Oh boy you can see allot of the raunchier side in these streets.  There was a man and a women walking towards us.  She ipdid not have a stick of anything on and was painted silver with a little dark paint over the places that need covering.  He was painted silver as well and had a little ball carrier.  Well my prudish eyes have seen a little more then they wanted too.  Yes I am prudish.

Out of the French quarter and back on canal street.  If we want to see more of the French quarter might take a carriage ride through it.  Then a guide can give us a little history on it while we ride.  Or we have a few days may walk around a little again.  I know I have been told beware in there as pick pockets are aplenty.  Well that could happen just about anywhere as well as in the French quarter.

Found the Hard Rock Cafe and looked around it a bit.  Elizabeth I picked up a pin for you that is a little mardi grah theme.  Hope that is what you were looking for.  We then stopped in a convenience store and picked up a few supplies for tonight in the room.  Walked a little further along canal street and magazine street.  Later heading back to hotel to cool off and rest a bit.  

Well that was our first full day in New Orleans.  My skin is a turning a little red so got to remember the sunblock or I will turn into a lobster of red.  Well I will match my red hats then won't I.

Tomorrow are going to head out and see about riding the trolley.  Heading over to the wwii museum and then maybe onto a couple of othe museums out that way.  Hope back on the trolley and go to the cemetery a little further out.  I know I know.  I always traipse through cemeteries.  This one I don't think has any relatives in it though.  Just curious as to what the tombs look like.  I do wander around cemeteries though.  Or at least I use to allot.  To find family info.  That has slowed down allot in the past few years though.  I still look once in while but I an not the researcher I use to be.

After those are done may make our way back a little and see if we can find the mardi grah museum.  Might be interesting to take a look at..  Other then that eating and checking out sweet stores and I am always on the lookout for bling.  Rob says there is a sweet store that he wants to look at.  Sugar is always good you know.  Well for some of us anyways.  For others it just adds on the poundage.

That should give us a day of being tired by tomorrow night.  And hot and sticky and ready for a shower.  The next day we have a tour planned.  This will take us to a couple of plantations and then a swamp tour on an airboat.  Rob says I fall in he is not going to go save me.  Well if I fall in there will not be much left of me to save.  The gators might get me.  But there is more meet on my son.  Sorry couldn't resist.

So that's about it for today. Heading out here in a little while to grab something to eat..  Talk to you tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment