the bike

the bike

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Day five. Well that was a long drive

Well we made it Rapid City South Dakota. That was a long hot drive.

We got up early this morning to miss some of the sun and we had an eight hour or so drive ahead of us. The landscape went from mountains to flat to mountains again and then just plain flat. The sun beating down on us most the whole time and getting hotter and hotter and hotter. Oh such fun.

The mountains looked like they were clay red. And sometimes they looked like you would see in a roadrunner cartoon. The flat land looked like tumbleweeds and brush and big range farms with sheep cattle or horses. They say it is big bear country and rattle snakes. Thank goodness we didn't see either.

The cross winds kept us hopin as well. A truck would go by or a cross wind would come up. It would feel like you were one of those bobble heads. You know bounce this way and then that. Yes sir no sir just what ever you want sir.

Oh and so much construction put us back an hour on the road as well. You just get back up to speed and then have to slow down for another road of gravel. Thank goodness they didn't wet it down or that just would have been a big mess to drive through on the bike.

There was also the fact that we decided the night before to take a bit more of the expressway to get there faster, but part way down the road someone changed the GPS to take alternate routes away from big areas. That added at least another hour onto our trip. Mind you country side was nice to look at but to get we're there is no gas and it takes longer to get someplace. Oh come on please. As I said before LET ME OFF NOW SO I CAN STRETCH.

Oh so far we have gotten lucky on the rain. We came through one area were it had just rained but we didn't get hit with it. I guess I shouldn't speak too soon on that as it still might break out on us.

Anyway we did make it to Rapid City in one day. Had a reservation at the Best Western here. Took a couple of times going around the block to find the entrance but finally we are here. I can shower and get the grime off. Felt so good to do that. Now if I can just get my legs to work again. Yeah I am sore and stiff from my feet to my hips. I just hope he doesn't take another long trek again or I may never be able to walk right again. My knees are feeling shot right now as well. I know complaining again but it is the truth. I still say I would like to ride side saddle and keep my legs together so the blood does not stop flowing to my feet. I felt like they were swelling as well. Boy I am in rough shape here, right?

Well anyways tomorrow is a relaxing day. We are taking a tour so no driving for us. Starts at 7 in morning and goes until 4. They serve us breakfast and Lunch and supper. Take us to Mt Rushmore were we tour around there. Then we get on a train and take a tour around the area and see a few other things. Better then looking at it yourself. You get to see a lot and don't have to figure out driving yourself. Works for me and gives us a rest as well.

From here we are heading home. I have had enough of the heat so we are heading north a little and then heading back west. Should take a few days to get home. Oh someone whom is traveling with me said since we are so close to Ontario we should just head there. Uh!!! NOT ON YOU LIFE. I do not want to take longer to go home. I think I have been a good sport so far and have not flown home on him. I may not be able to walk by the time I get home but I am sticking it out.

I guess that is all for today. Talk again tomorrow night after our tour of Mt Rushmore.




No comments:

Post a Comment